Wednesday, November 26, 2008

~Narakabuze~




I live in Africa! I am still pinching myself.
In the past few weeks-- I’ve gotten new (American) students in my class, celebrated our second unit of Writer’s Workshop, spent a day at Lake Muhazi, had an awesome International Fall Festival at KICS, stayed at home during peaceful protests for Rose Kabuye, started learning more Kinyarwanda, got a new boyfriend, went to the US Embassy (like stepping into America!), started a study on Daniel, exercised (ok, ok, only twice), and by the way I was just joking about the new boyfriend—haha! I was hoping that would trick someone :)
And a BIG STORY is about to occur this weekend! We have Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving break (murakoze pilgrims) and I’m going to Uganda and rafting the NILE! It will be a very different Turkey day than I’ve ever experienced. There will be no turkey, no family, no phone calls, no pie, no football, no comfy sweater, and no stuffing myself and taking an afternoon nap.
So, here is a meager attempt to count my blessings and name them one by one.
In no particular order, I am thankful for:
- my Hope and my Refuge
- that smell is linked to memory
- Angella, Duncan, Ella Jade, Haruki, Jade, Joel, and Jordan
- my roommates: Jess, Cady, and Marissa
- new friendships
- my family (miss you!)
- email updates from friends every day of the week :)
- calls from the states (except I ran out of Skype credit for Nov)
- the internet
- Lola (the corolla)
- prayers of brothers and sisters from all over the country
- having a camera
- the sunrises
- the sunsets
- the gorgeous hills
- the presentation of coffee
- my banana leaf chair
- projectors
- fruit salad
- Albert and Odette
- worship and bible studies here
- praising at CCR
- perfect weather
- ice cream at Bourbon
- Torero feeling like America
- laughter
- Cady’s Game, simply for entertainment
- Shannon B planning to come to Rwanda!
- a chance to live thoughtfully
- my health
- diversity
- crafts and artistic expression
- the way my favorite pen writes
- having a great education
- trees
- the five senses
- every hug I can get
- chocolate
- God’s patience and grace
- singing
- money (unusual to say, but true)
- hospitality of others
- people who are like family to me
- tears
- organization
- sugar
- Scripture’s effect
- cool winds

This list is nowhere near exhaustive…but I just wanted to sit down for a minute and remember what I have to be thankful for.

~~Be joyful always. Pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.~~

A little language lesson: Narakabuze= I miss you. And it is very true.